Saturday, June 16, 2012

All the Doodle Da Day


The doodles to pictured here are the images I always seem to pen when doodling; or something very similar.  I never really thought about it until the other day when I caught myself doodling while on terminal wait while calling for a real human being to talk to about an issue.  If that doesn't drive you to doodle, nothing will.

Strangely enough, I noticed as I doodled, that I always tend to doodle the same type things.  There is the "magic box" that flip-flops the part closet to you.  Sometimes I do this one with triangles.  It is just so intriguing to me that the eye gets tired and makes the image change.  Sometimes I blacken two of the squares.  It still does the flip-flop.  This is a cognitive issue that I am sure has been studied.  But for me, it is just a fun exercise.

I always draw a star.  A five pointed one. One line, criss-crossing until the star appears.  Sometimes I include a moon, a crescent moon.  I see I didn't here.  Then of course a sun.  And my suns are usually round with the rays attached.  Sometimes they aren't attached.  I imagine that is a happier doodle moment.  Then there is the strange looking dog.  Looks more like a wolf...from another planet.  But he always looks happy.  And of course a cat face.  This one seems rather moon-faced.  Usually my cat doodles have more character.  Not sure why this one looks so blank.

There are always trees and little houses.  The trees are usually pine-like, like this one, or with a thick trunk and cloud-like leaves.  I always draw an eye.  That eye always seems to need another eye.  Then a nose, an eyebrow leading down to a nose and a mouth.  This mouth pictured here is rather plain.  Sometimes I give them full lips and teeth and on rare occaisions, a tongue is sticking out.  My faces vary somewhat, but all seem to be from the same family with similar facial characteristics.  I have no idea who this family is, though.

A doodle revery would not be complete without a spiral of some kind like the one in the upper right-hand corner.  Sometimes these turn into tornados. I like drawing tornados and whirlwinds, even though I have never really seen either of those in person and would prefer not too.

I always have to practice my numbers and my lettering.  I try all sorts of styles.  Numbering and scripts are fascinating to me.  Nowadays you can get whatever font you want on your computer.  It is not the same, though, as putting pen to paper.  Of course I say that while typing on my laptop.  Convenience and speed does have its benefits.  But I still like to hand-write.  And I feel very sad that cursive writing is not being taught in many schools and soon will be like a foreign language to the coming generations.  

Until then, I will practice penning my letters and numbers the old fashioned way while waiting on the phone or just waiting for inspiration to strike.  Sometimes the hand-pen-paper connection loosens the imagination and brings out the most interesting things.  But don't get any ideas. I am not going to take these to an analyst any time soon.  I am not sure I want to know why my doodles re-occur so much, even since childhood.  Maybe habit, maybe rote learning, maybe just something comfortable that connects today with yesterday.  Who knows?  And ultimately, a doodle is a doodle....all the doodle da day.

Oh, one more thing I just noticed!  I usually doodle a daisy of sorts.  Round center, symetric petals, a long stem with ivy-like leaves.  Hmmm.  Now I am sure that having omitted that favorite has some sort of meaning....or not.  All I know is to doodle is to doodle.  And that's the truth.  Doodle that.

No comments:

Post a Comment