Wednesday, June 6, 2012

The Cactus Blooms


"Bloom where you're planted."
Saint Francis de Sales (1567-1622)

I was coming down from Mount Rubidoux, walking along 9th Street, when I saw this amazing cactus in full bloom in a curbside garden.  Someone had skillfully managed to make it appear that the cactus had actually split the rock in growing.  What struck me most about this plant, however, was not its staging, but its shear exhuberance.  I have seen cacti in bloom before, but this one seemed particularly awesome.  So many blooms!  The effervencent color! I just had to stand and stare a moment or two.

Then I began to wonder about this little cactus, here, in this small residential garden, just sitting there, blooming its fool head off.  It made me think.  Why aren't we just blooming idiots like this plant?  What on earth do we have to lose?  Just be happy and show the world what you've got!  Maybe it won't last, but what does?  The image of this little cactus with magenta flowers will forever last in my mind now.  It gave me such joy, not only for a moment, but for a long time to come.  It, well, it actually inspired me.

You've heard of stopping and smelling the roses.  Well, there's a heck of a lot more to observe and enjoy than just roses.  And I think I have as much to give the world as this little succulant does.  Who knows how long this guy was working up to this show?  One moment in time.  That's all it takes to last a lifetime...that's all we need, moment after moment after moment...

“All the flowers of tomorrow are in the seeds of yesterday”
Old Proverb

No comments:

Post a Comment