Thursday, May 26, 2011

Disturbing the Dog

Let sleeping dogs lie.  In other words, do not disturb the dog unless you have to.  Or unless you know the dog.  Or unless the dog is normally a truthful dog, then it is never permissable to let the sleeping dog, (or any dog for that matter) lie.  You always want your dog to tell you the truth.  If he made the mess on the carpet, don't let him blame the cat.  Of course, vice versa is true and it is not beyond a cat to make a mess and try to blame the dog.  I know, I have both cats and dogs.

Anyway, I digress, as oft I do.  I have been thinking a lot about my dogs and their demeanor.  They are usually pretty serene.  Unless a stranger or a cat or a sudden gust of wind or maybe a spectre enters the room; then they are up and at 'em, barking signals of warning and/or some here, I want to smell you.  But that is the way of dogs.  Cats of course could care less.

But disturbing the dog, that is something else.  Have you ever seen anything more precious than a little dog stretched out across the bed or sofa, sound asleep, dreaming of running in a field, chasing rabbits or most likely, their next meal?  They totally shut down and zone out.  And if you disturb them by sneezing or shifting in your seat or answering the phone, well, the withering look you get chills you to the bone.  Well, really, they probably aren't cursing.  They are probably wondering if you what you doing and if they need to spring into action.  Cats on the other hand always adopt a wait and see stance.

I have to admit sometimes I tickle my dog in that special spot I know will make their leg shake.  Or I tussle their whiskers because I know it will make them raise their paw to brush off the offending fingers, probably thinking it is a fly or something.  They are generally good natured about the disturbance.  They know it could lead to a treat or something even better, a walk around the block or a toss of the stuffed skunk.

Now you might think disturbing the dog is a silly passtime for a grown man to indulge himself in.  Well, I say nonsense.  It has been proven that having pets is one of the best remedies to loneliness or sadness there is.  With such unconditional love, how can anyone feel bad for too long?  And they depend on humans for everything.  That in itself is quite a responsibility.  It keeps me going...gets me out of bed in the morning.  Dogs want to eat and they want to eat upon rising and you must rise to accomodate them!  Cats on the other had, will train you to leave food out all the time so they can constantly graze at their leizure.

So disturbing the dog is not bad at all. I truly believe the dog would prefer to be disturbed from his slumber or barking at the neighbors or whatever else they are doing by the one they know loves and cares for them.  They probably don't think of it as being disturbed at all, but rather being summoned to a higher calling.  Can one really be disturbed by love?  I think not.

So I will go on disturbing the dog.  It will disturb me if I did not.  It is a mutual game and we both get so much out of it.  And when I lift the dogs up and bundle them in my arms, well, I know there is no better disturbance in the universe than being disbturbed by your dog.

No comments:

Post a Comment