Thursday, May 5, 2011

An Open Heart

Having an open heart is actually quite a responsibility.  By keeping your heart open, 24/7, as the sign implies, you run the risk of it getting broken.  An open heart leaves you vulnerable to being hurt or taken advantage of.  Yet I seem to always come to the conclusion that it is always worth the risk.  After all, a heart of stone is worse than no heart at all.

"I would rather have eyes that cannot see; ears that cannot hear; lips that cannot speak, than a heart that cannot love."  --Robert Tizon.


That, my friend, is where I find myself.  My heart is open.  Sometimes I run the risk of taking on things that are more than I care to.  Sometimes I may love blindly, love silently and not speak love's name, but ultimately the councilation is that I indeed do love.


"And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love."  1 Corinthians 13:13


You can have faith in love, in its power, its magic, its healing powers.  You can have hope of love, that it will come, that love will indeed be yours.  But the greatest of these three things, faith, hope and love, is indeed love, for without love, what are we?  Love makes faith real and hope a reality. 


I am keeping this old ticker open for as long as it keeps me alive.  And if I am lucky, the love I experience will go on long after I am gone. 

"Near, far, where ever you are.  I believe that the heart does go on."  -- Titanic 1997

No comments:

Post a Comment